Re: [artworks] Ideas for new version

  • From: Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:38:39 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4ea219c7fdArtworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Richard Underwood <Artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Martin, Following your invitation for suggestions, here's my wish list
> for future releases of artworks.

> Multipage Layout You have mentioned multi-page layout. This would be
> very welcome.  If it were implemented I feel that it would be best to
> have the pages scollable like Impression pages so that objects can be
> freely dragged around between pages, not like an "workbook" arrangement
> where you can only have one page showing at a time.

I don't feel that multipage handling is particularly an important
feature, as any ArtWorks document can be imported into Impression or
Ovation Pro to create a multipage layout. But if ArtWorks does receive
multipage capabilities I would NOT want to see it done as scrollable
pages in one view as the ability to use the scroll bars to navigate
around one page becomes more difficult when the vertical scrollbar
becomes small and it's sensitivity in relation to the page increases.
All this means is that you end up having to use the 'Move page' hand
tool which is generally less sensitive than the scrollbar is when
viewing a single page as is currently the case.

> Artworks file import by drag and drop To my mind it has always seemed
> strange that artworks can import Drawfiles, Sprites and Jpegs by
> dragging them onto the page but cannot import (or merge to be more
> exact) its own files.  At present there is no simple way add frequently
> used Artworks "clips" to a drawing other than cut 'n paste which to me
> seems awkward and very un-riscos.  This problem is exacerbated by the
> presence of the newer Artworks objects which cannot be preserved in
> Draw Files.

I wouldn't say that cut and paste is that difficult to use, and the use
of 'Paste in place' ctrl+Shift+V makes it easy enough to place things in
the correct position from one document into another.
But I don't understand your reference to draw files, are you exporting
ArtWorks objects to draw files just to transfer them to other
documents?

> Spell checker
[snip]
> would it at least be possible just have an "export text strings" feature
> similar to !Vector?

Yes, that would be very useful, and is something I require regularly. I
currently use a small Basic program that attempts to strip out strings
from an ArtWorks EPS file, but it is a pain having export to AW-EPS
every time.

> Jpeg Printing
> I would like to see the preservation of JPegs on landscape pages within
> postscript the printer output. The conversion of "rotated" Jpegs to
> sprites can cause incredibly slow postscript printing.

I agree. It's a real pain when printing Landscape. To get around the
problem I usually print the ArtWorks file from Ovation Pro as it doesn't
have that problem, but you are then affected by the limitations of
AWrender module.

--
Gavin Crawford
email: gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx