Re: [artworks] Ideas for new version

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:58:54 +0100

In message <c764bca24e.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In message <1bb67ba24e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In message <c3c17aa24e.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>> So although it is good to know that I can get plain text into a text
>>> area,  I still don't know how to:
>>>  a) get text with effects into the text area from another app.
>
>> There is no way, but not even dedicated word processors can do that
>> via the clipboard. Which other application(s) are you thinking of?
>
> I can't think of RISC OS apps that do it but you can achieve it
> between MSWord and Xara - MSWord offers Xara a choice of plain text or
> Metafile and if you choose Metafile you get something like what you
> started with.

Ah, yes, via Metafile but that is an entirely different story. You can
do the same between EasiWriter and ArtWorks: In EasiWriter, choose
"Save area as Draw", drag a box to select the words you want, then
drag into ArtWorks and you get the text including effects.

>>> These are all obvious items for clipboard actions.
>> With a) it is not that obvious really.
>> Martin
> Agreed,  but if ArtWorks supported one of the text markup formats eg
> DDL, DDF, or RTF then it could achieve the preservation of styles with
> drag and drop.

The problem is that "one of the text markup formats" would not do
because there is no format that more than one application can save.

OvationPro: can only save as DDL
Impression: can only save as DDF
EasiWriter: can only save as RTF (or HTML)

So, ArtWorks would have to support three different formats to allow
formatted text to be imported from the three major RISC OS word
processors. So, we are down to the usual problem: Too many
alternatives to implement all of them and too little value in
implementing one of them.

Mind you, the situation is entirely different in the other direction:
Each of the above can import DDF.