Re: [artworks] I just want part of a circle.

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 13:34:07 +0200

In message <E6547A2C-25AF-40DD-BA98-FB02FE48F97D@xxxxxxx>
          Stuart Murden <sgmurden@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm just coming back to Artworks, how do you draw just a part of a
> circle. Drawing a circle is easy but I really want to cut it up
> though! If this is a dumb question apologies all round. TIA

There are various ways to achieve that. First of all, please note that
in the shape editor, you can click anywhere on a curve and you get an
extra control point at that location. So, after converting the circle
to a shape (Ctrl-N), you can define the start and end point of the arc
you want by simply clicking there. Then, open the path at each of the
endpoints, which leaves you with the arc.

Alternatively, you can cut out an arc using the Intersect facility as
follows: Convert the circle to a shape (Ctrl-N), then select one of
its control points in the Line tool and click on the "open shape"
button (or press Backspace). Then, draw a triangle on top of the
circle to define the part of the curve you want. Select both the
circle and the triangle and choose "Lines/Shapes => Intersect with
top", which leaves you with the part of the circle covered by the
triangle.

You can also generate pie chart shapes using this method: The easiest
way is by first turning the grid on. Then, in the ellipse tool select
"From centre" and draw the circle. That makes sure that the centre is
on a grid point. Then, draw a triangle with one corner on the centre.
Then, select the circle (no need to convert to a shape in this case)
and the triangle and choose "Lines/Shapes => Intersect with top". That
cuts out a pie chart shape as defined by the triangle.