Re: [artworks] Hestitation while loading

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 00:21:21 +0200

In message <4fb002f3c2j.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John McCartney <j.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <846dfcaf4f.Bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Bryan Page <bryanpage1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If Windows isn't doing anything when I run VRPC I find
>> ArtWorks loads in less than 2 seconds.  If however I'm
>> playing CD's using Windows Media Player, ArtWorks takes
>> about 10 seconds to load pausing at the banner screen -
>> quitting ArtWorks and reloading it takes less than 2
>> seconds to load.

> When it first showed the symptoms, I thought it must be
> something on the Windows side that was holding ArtWorks up.
> However, when it *only* paused at Groups and at no other
> module, I inferred that it was something on the RISC OS
> side that was causing it.

I do not think you can draw this conclusion. It is well conceivable
that the Windows side could be holding up ArtWorks even if it is
always at the same module. For instance, imagine your Windows virus
checker checking every file that is accessed. It uses signatures to
detect known viruses. Any RISC OS file, e.g., the main module file of
the ArtWorks Group module, might just happen to contain a sequence of
bytes that triggers one of the signatures. Then, maybe the virus
checker stops the system from accessing that file while it analyses it
in depth, which might take some time.