Re: [artworks] Extra angle in Choices > Angle constraint

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 23:20:32 +0100

On 20 Jul at 16:51, Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <mpro.lolo4a0000xx60062.tim@xxxxxxxxx>, Tim Powys-Lybbe
> <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 16 Jul at 17:18, Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > In article <df6abaf351.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin
>
> > No, there is me doing some geometric artwork out here.
>
> > And yesterday I had a problem trying to draw a circle made up of 20
> > equal sectors: I simply could not work out how to do it.
>
> You mean like this.......
>
> http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~riscos/problems/20-seg.zip

Indeed, quite super.

> Entirely drawn in ArtWorks - as you can see it can be done but takes
> quite a lot of time as it involves cutting a circle into 1/20th
> section, using a 20 segment circular grid as a guide. Two straight
> lines are then drawn from the origin to intersect the circle - the
> three sections would then have to be joined to form a filled shape.
> This only creates a single segment so you still have to clone and
> rotate to form the rest.

This is where the Replicate too needs a tiny extension, to rotate as
well as lay out irregular shaped bricks.

I did think of doing something like this method but did not bother as I
know it would have taken ages to get everything to the right dimensions,
angle and precise contiguity.  So I abandoned that.

> > I tried Rosemary Miskin's Draw Lots, but that would only do one
> > sector at a time.
>
> DrawLots is a great time saver - this is a good method.

But it would only do one sector, then one is on one's own manually.

> > Then I had the brilliant idea of using Schema2 to do a 20 sector pie
> > chart with 20 equal bits of data.  Job done!  (And the pie-chart can
> > be output as a drawfile.)
>
> Sounds good if you have Schema.

I would expect that other spreadsheet programs can do pie-charts??????

The other thing I had a look at was Xara Xtreme v.6 but I could not find
a rotary sector generator there either.

> > Afficionados will want to know that what I was trying to do was to
> > draw a heraldic shield with a border gobony in white and blue
> > (argent and azure to be precise).
>
> I have seen some of your shields and very good they look too.

Thanks, I enjoy doing them and have been given a modest honorary
commission to illustrate a 400,000 person database of people and their
relations.  Sounds like I'll be in my grave first.

And since the interest is obviously so great, here's the Gobony border
and a shield using same.  Apologies for the goggles on the lions but
they were the best I could find.  <http://powys.org/riscos/Gobony.zip>

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim@xxxxxxxxx
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/