Re: [artworks] Extra angle in Choices > Angle constraint

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 23:00:22 +0100

On 22 Jul at 14:42, Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article , Tim Powys-Lybbe
>  wrote:
> > On 20 Jul at 16:51, Richard Ashbery  wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~riscos/problems/20-seg.zip
>
> > Indeed, quite super.
>
> > > Entirely drawn in ArtWorks - as you can see it can be done but
> > > takes quite a lot of time as it involves cutting a circle into
> > > 1/20th section, using a 20 segment circular grid as a guide. Two
> > > straight lines are then drawn from the origin to intersect the
> > > circle - the three sections would then have to be joined to form a
> > > filled shape. This only creates a single segment so you still have
> > > to clone and rotate to form the rest.
>
> > This is where the Replicate too needs a tiny extension, to rotate as
> > well as lay out irregular shaped bricks.
>
> > I did think of doing something like this method but did not bother
> > as I know it would have taken ages to get everything to the right
> > dimensions, angle and precise contiguity.  So I abandoned that.

> > > DrawLots is a great time saver - this is a good method.
>
> > But it would only do one sector, then one is on one's own manually.
>
> Yes but the sector is the difficult bit and this is done automatically
> for you by DrawLots. The rest is easy.......
>
> 1. Save the segment from DrawLots into AW. 2. Align the pointy bit
> with a 20 segment circular grid (CTRL-Shift-G). 3. Select Rotate tool
> 4. Clone the segment (CTRL-K); Adjust-click on grid Origin to set
> rotation point: Control-drag the clone to new position*. 5. Repeat
> step 4 three more times to give five segments over a quarter of a
> circle. 6. Group all; Clone new group; Set origin; Control-drag to
> give half circle of segments. 7. Group all; Clone new group; Set
> origin; Control-drag to produce all 20 segments.

<Mac's version of MPro has collapsed the layout.  Grrr.>

> Job done
>
> * Assumes Angle constraint is set for 18 degrees (Menu over AW iconbar
> icon. Select Choices > ArtWorks 2.
>
> This all sounds very complicated but have ago and you will see how
> easy it really is.

Easy!  Not really, particularly when compared to the pie-chart method.

The problem is that of precisely lining up the sectors; I am not happy
doing it by hand.  The ArtWorks replicate tool with rectangualr
patterning is ideal for absolute precision.

I dare say that a skilled operative, you perhaps, can do a better job
than I can!

<snip>

> > And since the interest is obviously so great, here's the Gobony
> > border and a shield using same.  Apologies for the goggles on the
> > lions but they were the best I could find.
>
> You mean you didn't actually draw the lions ;-)) I was just going to
> ask how you went about it.

Well this particular one was from a JPG which I converted to a very odd
Draw object using Trace.  But with a sufficiently coarse error, 50% say,
it gives fairly smooth lines and irons out the JPG.

However I have now got fed up with those goggles and found some other,
and vector, clip art which does a somewheat better job.  I had to pay
for this but got a big lot delivered for my dosh.
<http://www.fleurdelis.com/lions.htm> and the EPS files load straight to
ArtWorks.

I am no artist, though can lay out a drawing.  So my style of heraldry
is reminiscent of medieval times when they cut out bits of metal and
pinned them on a shield or bits of cloth and sewed them to a flag.  No
subtlety, simple but bold and easily recognisable.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim@xxxxxxxxx
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/