Re: [artworks] Exporting graduated fills

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:19:29 +0100

On 30 Mar, rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote in message
  <76785d884f.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> In message <237958884f.steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have an ArtWorks file containing a couple of closed shapes with
> > graduated fills.  Both seem to display correctly on screen, and when
> > used in other applications via AWViewer.  The file can be found at
>
> >   http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~sfryatt/temp/awprob.zip
>
> > If I export the image as a drawfile, the bottom shape is correctly
> > graduated, while the top one is just a solid green.  Can anyone
> > suggest what I'm doing wrong?  As far as I know, the two shapes were
> > created in exactly the same way.
>
> > ArtWorks 2.75 on RISC OS 5.13, if that's relevant.
>
> If you export to draw, drop the file back into artworks, select and
> completely ungroup you will find that your original two shapes have
> been converted to 14 shapes and 34 shapes for top and bottom
> respectively.
>
> In the case of the top shape there is one big shape and 13 tiny shapes
> which are shaded.
>
> The bottom 34 shapes fare rather better. If you magnify the shaded bit
> you can see what is going on.

Thanks; that explains what's happening.

So why the discrepancy?  AKAIK, the two shapes are the same (they started
life as the same item, copied and rotated 180 degrees), and seem to have
the same graduated fill profile.

It's not an urgent problem, as I've worked around the issue for the task I
was doing, but I'm curious to know what I've done wrong.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/