Re: [artworks] Exporting AW Drawings

  • From: Brian Carroll <bric@xxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:27:44 +0100

In article <4e43b4a7b9bric@xxxxxxx>, Brian Carroll
<bric@xxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

> Mark sent me a copy of !Draw2WMF which diverted me to a new
> problem:-(

> On either of my machines (SA/RiscPC and VirtualRPC-AdjustSA)
> the application fails to convert my logo completely. On his
> machine (SA/RiscPC) the conversion is complete. We are both
> using RISC OS 4.39 on SA/RiscPCs, and use Artworks v2.61 (the
> latest) and FontDirPro. We both have the font I used:
> Optima.Medium.

> The problem manifests itself as follows. The AW file contains
> 48 objects in the foreground, including text in 2 half-circles
> radius approx 90mm above and below a central badge. The
> PDF-export file displays perfectly in both Adobe Reader and
> RISC OS viewers. The Drawfile-export file appears normal in
> !Draw, but when an attempt is made to convert it to WMF in
> !Draw2WMF, an error immediately occurs. The usual box is
> headed "Message from", ie no task is identified.  The message
> is " WARNING: unsupported TRANSTEXT in file
> '<My-Path>.Logo4Col_d' "

> Cancelling the error (consistently) 27 times apparently lets
> the conversion finish. Examination of the output in Windows
> Picture and Fax Viewer, or !ImageFS2, after re-typing the file
> from 'data' to 'wmf' or 'winmeta' respectively, shows the top
> half-circle of text has not been converted; the remainder is
> OK.

> Most other Drawfiles convert to WMF correctly, but I have
> found one (not derived from AW) containing text where the text
> does not get converted.

> Exactly the same happens on my VirtualRPC-AdjustSA which is
> set up to match my RiscPC as much as possible. This suggests
> something in the boot sequence is the cause of this strange
> result.  Investigation continues, but does anyone have any
> ideas about it?

After unsuccessfully looking for possibly conflicting
applications, I asked Mark Wiggin to do the conversions to .wmf
for me and sent him the Draw files exported from my AW.  He
experienced an error identical to what I reported above.  His AW
Draw filter was set  the same as mine except he had 'convert
text to paths' set; I did not.  When I set the same as Mark I
found Draw2WMF completed the conversion withour error.

I think I misled myself by looking at my Artworks file in Draw.
Appropriate ungrouping in Draw shows my individual letters as
path objects - Martin has explained in this thread that my
selecting a line colour caused that.  This is the case whether
or not the AW Draw filter is set to convert to path.  I suppose
I thought therefore that the filter was making no difference to
my text, so did not set it. There evidently /is/ a difference,
though the Draw file itself looks OK, which shows up later in
the way Draw2WMF behaves.

Although I now have the .wmf versions of my files I am left
confused abut the use of Convert text to paths' in the Draw
export choices; it seems to have a quite different purpose in
the AW User Manual Ch 2, p149. Anyway, it has to be set for me
to be able to use Draw2WMF on my particular files: is that
the case now with all files?

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK  bric at f2s dot com