Re: [artworks] Exporting AW Drawings

  • From: Tim Hill <smartgroups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:26:17 +0100

In article <4e3eb1bae1john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Cartmell
<john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 29 Jun, Brian Carroll <bric@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I would like to stick to vector format files for the obvious reasons
> > but some people will certainly want to use a bitmap in MSWord. I can
> > export files directly from AW in SVG or PDF format and several bitmap
> > formats. What I need advice on is which will be the most useful for
> > my inexpert customers.  I really don't want to have to produce lots
> > of files at different sizes for different people.  This must be a
> > common enough situation but not one I have experienced.

> The usual case is that everyone is given the same med/high quality
> bitmap graphic without any understanding that it will be wasted and
> wasteful of space and time for most users. I'd offer three bitmap
> versions with indications of their use and size together with vector
> format options and a note that you are willing to produce any size eg
> suited for higher quality use.

Sending a bitmap has another advantage. I have had vector files
"improved" by others.

I tend to use high quality jpegs and use JSize to set the dpi as
required; 300 dpi is usually enough for letterheads and the like. Those
whose software ignores dpi settings can be advised to scale the image to
30% which gives the right result.

(Stands back to wait for those with microscope-vision to complain about
jpeg artifacts which, in the real world and at high settings are not
noticeable).

--
Tim Hill,
<URL:http://www.timil.com/>

... "Sweets to the sweet; farewell !" Hamlet, Act v, Sc.1