Re: [artworks] Error: UniScanned sprites in AW

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:32:57 +0100

In message <4f7f084670riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A sprite produced by scanning with R-Comp's UniScan(3.20) [Scan-to-file
> option] seems to display correctly. So far so good. When the sprite is
> deleted and an attempt made to remove it from the Sprite pool window the
> following occurs........

> Error outside ArtWorks 2

> "Fastmove called with bad parameters"

> I have contacted R-Comp for some help but I hope you don't mind if I
> 'broaden the posting' to get other ideas.

No problem - in fact, at first glance I thought it quite likely that
it is a bug in ArtWorks, so this is definitely the right place to
discuss it.

> The suspect 1MB sprite can be downloaded from......
> http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~riscos/AWproblems

Ah, I see - this sprite file is not valid. It has inconsistent
offsets. The third word of the saved file (offset of first free word
in area) points into the last word of the sprite instead of beyond it.
If you forward this information to R-Comp they will be able to fix
UniScan. It is rather unfortunate that UniScan produces invalid sprite
files. They will cause problems in other applications, too. The fact
that the sprites look OK at first glance and only cause problems later
make this even more dangerous.

At first glance, Paint seems to be happy with the sprite (but so does
ArtWorks until you try to delete it), but if you then try to add
another sprite to the file in Paint, it falls over as well. This
applies to both RO5 Paint and Adjust Paint.

So, this is not a bug in ArtWorks (though it would be nice if ArtWorks
tested the file for consistency more thoroughly to avoid falling over
when encountering an invalid sprite).