Re: [artworks] Cutting one object with another

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:02:48 +0100

In article <515f91d0f6a.m.conroy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Conroy
<a.m.conroy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What I'm trying to do is to take eg. a rectangle which has another
> object over the top. What you can see is a portion of the rectangle
> at the top, then the second object, then the rectangle again. What
> I'd like to do is to be able to use the second object (which is at
> the top of the stack) to cut the lower object (the rectangle), so
> that there are then three objects. I've uploaded an example as I'm
> not making myself very clear!

> http://www.owlart.co.uk/me/aw.zip

> Is it possible to do this? I've played with the intersection tool
> but that gives me almost the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Martin has written an excellent tutorial which will do precisely what
you want. See the Intersect Tool tutorial (Symmetric difference on
page 6). Hint - do not forget the additional rectangle. In step 3 the
information window (one just above the colour bar) must say "2 groups
in Foreground" before choosing "Intersect all".

Regards

Richard