Re: [artworks] Colours not displaying properly in PDF on PC

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:14:18 +0100

In message <50bed137c0a.m.conroy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Andrew Conroy <a.m.conroy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <a6db69be50.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If you want bright, artificial RGB colours for screen display, why do
>> you not simply use RGB colours to begin with? CMYK colours are for
>> printing using a fully CMYK capable printing chain and they require
>> some care to get right.

> The reason for creating it in CMKY was because it was to be a diagnostic
> page for somebody to use with their possibly problematic inkjet printer.

What is wrong with the printer test page? In particular the nozzle
test page does print each ink individually.

> I was hoping to print out blocks of each colour individually.

That idea is doomed to fail for various reasons.

First of all, inkjet printers do not print using ideal CMYK inks. The
actual inks vary wildly even between different models of the same
manufacturer. The drivers know about that and do extensive colour
processing. But then, the driver gets RGB input anyway because that is
what it gets from the printing application, which may have done
extensive colour processing itself to convert the CMYK colours
supplied in the PDF file to RGB for printing.