Re: [artworks] Cloning in Rotation Tool

  • From: John Oram <oramj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:19:30 +0100

In message <508ba98530riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <81864d8b50.signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nick K
> <signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <508add1084riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
>>           <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Each time I do the repeat I have to return to the Selector tool,
>>> press CTRL-K, hit the Rotate tool, Adjust-click on the origin
>>> then type the rotation angle. Pressing CTRL-K with the "Rotate
>>> tool" still selected only succeeds in 'blanking' the 'Rotate by'
>>> box. Is there a better way?

> I really wanted to do this 'more efficiently' in AW and not employ
> another package (I already use the excellent DrawLots for spirals and
> sine curves). It's not so important as my method does work - however
> the number of steps makes it frustrating.

Hi Richard,
Two methods within Artworks suggest themselves, and, I think, involve
fewer steps:
1. Set up a circular grid with lock on ( view>extra grids: select
circular/lock and show ON/centre to page for convenience/ choose
number of segments to suit your requirement e.g. 20, for 36 degree
angle).
Then draw your first line from the origin point along one radius.
Thereafter Crtl-K clone and drag the outer point to the next 'radius
lock' - repeat cloning and drag-to-lock to complete circle.

2. An odd alternative would be to set up the polygon tool to stellar
form with number of points to suit your needed lines; then drag the
inner radius points to the centre ( using magnify for accuracy, if
needed) which gives the appearance of single lines.

There are doubtless some downsides to these dodges, but they seem
sufficient for my needs.

Best wishes,

John.

--
John E.D. Oram :  Tel:0114 2555491 : 12 Montgomery Road, S7 1LQ