Re: [artworks] Can I stop Uniting leaving bits behind?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:04:00 +0200

In message <51d56f9983riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <mpro.llc8fa00003m411s1.tim@xxxxxxxxx>, Tim Powys-Lybbe
> <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> However I have found that this can leave some small bits behind in
>> the final separation of the joined object from the intersect.  I
>> have made an ArtWorks page showing the steps I took to unite the
>> objects and put it here:

>>   <http://www.tim.ukpub.net/riscos/Uniting_shapes.zip>

>> Close examination will show two prongs (for want of a better word)
>> poking up from the separated bit and missing from the united
>> object.  I would like the prongs to be on the United object.  Can
>> anyone advise how this can be done?

> Join shapes is doing exactly what you have asked it to do - when you
> break the shapes you are left with two parts - the outline of both the
> filled shapes that have now been joined and the bit which is normally
> discarded (in your example, the bit with the two vertical prongs on
> it). Because of the Intersection process this bit is made up of
> individual objects meaning that you can simply select any one of them
> and delete them - in your example select the two prongs and delete
> them.

Not exactly. In order to arrive at the correct union of the original
shapes, it is necessary to distinguish between the bits that are in
the intersection (delete them) and the bits that are part of the
unification (join them with the big unified shape).

The tricks outlined in the tutorial (using intersection in a special
way to do unions and symmetric differences) do all the difficult work
like clipping shapes, but that still requires you to do the right
"break" and "join" operations.