Re: [artworks] Can I stop Uniting leaving bits behind?

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 23:46:44 +0100

On 18 May at 19:28, Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <mpro.llc8fa00003m411s1.tim@xxxxxxxxx>, Tim Powys-Lybbe
> <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > However I have found that this can leave some small bits behind in
> > the final separation of the joined object from the intersect.  I
> > have made an ArtWorks page showing the steps I took to unite the
> > objects and put it here:
>
> >   <http://www.tim.ukpub.net/riscos/Uniting_shapes.zip>
>
> > Close examination will show two prongs (for want of a better word)
> > poking up from the separated bit and missing from the united object.
> > I would like the prongs to be on the United object.  Can anyone
> > advise how this can be done?
>
> Join shapes is doing exactly what you have asked it to do - when you
> break the shapes you are left with two parts - the outline of both the
> filled shapes that have now been joined and the bit which is normally
> discarded (in your example, the bit with the two vertical prongs on
> it). Because of the Intersection process this bit is made up of
> individual objects meaning that you can simply select any one of them
> and delete them - in your example select the two prongs and delete
> them.
>
> I hope this answers your query.

Well, more to the point I was stimulated to see what other programs
would do and ambled over the the latest incarnation of Xara Xtreme which
indeed has a Combine function and which did the job perfectly, leaving
the little prongs in position in the main part.  I have also gathered
that Corel Draw will do as well.

The poiint is that I was not in fact bothered with what happened to the
left-over bit, it was that the prongs were missing from the United
thingie.

Thanks for looking into it.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim@xxxxxxxxx