Re: [artworks] Bullets? / role for Adjust

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 17:37:13 +0200

In message <f82d414650.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Nagel (lists) <jim2.nagel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Martin Wuerthner  wrote on 3 Apr:

>> In message <5969eb4550.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Jim Nagel (lists) <jim2.nagel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> while on the subject of shortcuts that Artworks could usefully borrow
>>> from Impression (et al), i would welcome Adjust-click on the
>>> magnifying-glass tool as a quick way to return to previous zoom.

>> In general, Adjust clicks on tools do not make much sense from a UI
>> point of view, so I do not think I will introduce that. Apart from the
>> zoom tool it is hard to think of any sensible actions. The only point
>> of the tool icons is to switch to the given tool and there is no
>> suitable metaphor for an Adjust action here.

> here's a bullet(!)list i compiled of what Select and Adjust do on
> Impression's toolbar:

Fine, but the Impression "toolbar" is something completely different.
It contains action buttons that *do* something. For those, it makes a
lot of sense for Adjust click to do something related. In EasiWriter,
you can even Menu click on most of the toolbar icons to do yet
something else (open a related menu, in most cases).

The ArtWorks ToolBox is very different. It contains tool, i.e., allows
you to switch between different working modes, and Select clicking on
*any* of them does nothing but select that tool. There is no sensible
way of interpreting an Adjust click in that context. [...]

Besides, there is already a meaning for Adjust: You use it to drag the
tool buttons around to reorder them. Something you cannot do in
Impression... (not to mention the underused facility that you can
build tool sub-menus in ArtWorks).

> in general, i always think it a shame and a waste when Adjust does the
> same thing as Select.  the extra bit that Adjust can give is one of
> the niftiest things about RiscOS.

Yes, I agree with that statement in general.

> what's the most strategic thing that one does with each of the other
> tools on the Artworks bar?  in each case, Adjust could do that action
> instantly (skipping the steps of opening tool, doing the necessary
> actions on its palette, then going back to previous tool).

In some cases, there might be something sensible, e.g., the Crystal
tool could apply the most recently applied transparency setting, but
for most tools, I cannot see any point. For instance, Line, Curve,
Rectangle, Polyong, Ellipse, Blend, Text cannot really do anything
useful.

What would be really useful is a toolbar as in Impression with things
like "Save", "Print", "Cut", "Paste", "Make shapes", etc. Obviously,
you can have one if you install Stewy's Wibli.