Re: [artworks] Bullets? / role for Adjust

  • From: Jim Nagel (lists) <jim2.nagel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 16:16:44 +0100

Martin Wuerthner  wrote on 3 Apr:

> In message <5969eb4550.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Jim Nagel (lists) <jim2.nagel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> while on the subject of shortcuts that Artworks could usefully borrow
>> from Impression (et al), i would welcome Adjust-click on the
>> magnifying-glass tool as a quick way to return to previous zoom.

> In general, Adjust clicks on tools do not make much sense from a UI
> point of view, so I do not think I will introduce that. Apart from the
> zoom tool it is hard to think of any sensible actions. The only point
> of the tool icons is to switch to the given tool and there is no
> suitable metaphor for an Adjust action here.

here's a bullet(!)list i compiled of what Select and Adjust do on
Impression's toolbar:
? mag-glass button:  Select opens Scale View dialogue; Adjust
instantly does "previous zoom" without opening dialogue.
? ABC button:  Select produces the Spelling menu; Adjust instantly
opens the Dictionary.
? insert button: Select produces the Insert menu; Adjust instantly
inserts current date at cursor.
? printer button: both Select and Adjust open printing dialogue (if
there's a difference i haven't spotted it)
? quality button: Select opens Quality dialogue; Adjust instantly sets
normal (10) quality.
? frame button: Select opens Alter Frame dialogue; Adjust opens the
Alter Graphic dialogue.
? colour button: Select opens New Colour dialogue; Adjust opens the
Edit Colour dialogue.

the metaphor is that Adjust instantly does one of the actions that can
be achieved from Select-plus-several-further-clicks. (or does a
complementary action.)

in general, i always think it a shame and a waste when Adjust does the
same thing as Select.  the extra bit that Adjust can give is one of
the niftiest things about RiscOS.

as a further general observation, i'd say that in using Artworks the
hand is on the mouse more than on the keyboard whereas in Impression
it's the other way round.  hence Adjust-actions on Artworks tools
might be handier than keyboard.

>> i'd love it if Adjust-click on the "move to" tool would shift the
>> object to (0,0) -- i always do this so that Impression's frame
>> coordinates are meaningful when i import something from Artworks.
>> (does OPro measure the same way, from bottom left?)

> This is a very arbitrary action, so there is little chance of
> dedicated coding for something like that.

am i the only one who'd find it useful?  i find it essential for
precise makeup of a Publisher document to be able to use the graphics
coordinates.

what's the most strategic thing that one does with each of the other
tools on the Artworks bar?  in each case, Adjust could do that action
instantly (skipping the steps of opening tool, doing the necessary
actions on its palette, then going back to previous tool).

--
>>> no need to reply my entire message back to me ;=]
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
   Abbey Press   32 Norbins Rd        (01458) 83 3603
   Glastonbury   BA6 9JG         pocket 0797 415 3861