Re: [artworks] Bad rendering of pdf

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:36:21 +0100

In article <3b275b8150.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <5080789e92riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
>           <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Importing a pdf into pdf, V 3.00.1.19 renders the graphic
> > at.......
> > http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~riscos/downloads/artworks/girl.zip
> > correctly

> Not at all. Compare it with what Adobe Reader displays. The
> rendering in !PDF is pretty poor. It does not do any of the
> graduated fills.

I've just had another look at the PDF under Adobe and it is
considerably better showing all the shading accurately rendered. A big
difference indeed.

> > but when importing into AW 2.82 the girl is "stripped" of some of
> > her assets - poor lass. Can anyone tell me why?

> > In case someone asks - the pdf was originally an Adobe
> > Illustrator (ai) file rendered in Adobe PDF reader (V 9.1.2).

> This is a limitation in the ArtWorks PDF importer - it renders
> linear and radial fills from some applications but not from
> others. Those from Xara are fine because I used files exported
> from Xara Xtreme for testing, but I do not have Illustrator.

Nor do I but there are many fantastic Illustrator tutorials that can
be converted for AW users. There are times when it would be useful to
display ai files via PDF in AW.

> Unfortunately, Illustrator uses a different method, which my
> importer does not support, so graduated fills from Illustrator do
> not work yet. I will fix that when I find the time.

Excellent.

> Then, we
> should be able to import that file perfectly into ArtWorks, at
> much better quality than what you get from !PDF.

That would be great Martin.

Good luck.

Richard