Re: [artworks] Artworks PDF Import

  • From: DitUnDat@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 14:35:36 +0200

In message <8cbb63a14f.Jo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John Tytgat <John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <476c91a04f.boase@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
>
> > What I do find odd is that a single line of text (30 characters) came
> > through as a set of variable length strings of text
> > (2,1,2,1,3,1,4,15,1 characters). Since the substrings aren't whole
> > words, I can't believe that the original design was made with such odd
> > bits.
>
> Probably not but it does not mean that one line in the original design
> should result in one text line in the PDF file.  The original text line
> could have al kind of intercharacter spacing (kerning, tracking,
> justification, ...) which are not necessary translateable in PDF as one
> text line and/or translatable in one AW text line.

In addition to this it depends a lot on the tool used to create the PDF.
For images the direct PDF output from Xara Xtreme is better than the one
using e.g. the tool PDFCreator - the former knows much better what it
exports whereas the latter is fed with print data and thus knows less
about the source data to start with.

As John outlined some PDF exporting tools export text in a more or less
strange manner in order to ensure that viewing the PDF reveals an exact
representation of the original data - and again depending on the tool
used the resulting text in the PDF file can be in longer or shorter
strings...

Please do keep in mind that PDF is a data output format in the first
place with the main intention to offer an exact representation of the
source data - thus even outputting the whole page as a simple bitmap is
a valid form of PDF creation (AFAIK the odd app does just that in order
to offer direct PDF import without the hassle to really code one).

--
Herbert

Herbert zur Nedden
German Archimedes Group http://www.gag.de

Herausgeber DER deutschen RISC OS-Zeitschrift.