Re: [artworks] Artworks PDF Import

  • From: Mark Wiggin <mark.wiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 08:32:34 +0100

In message <476c91a04f.boase@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Bernard Boase <b.boase@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3 May, Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Obviously, without the appropriate font being installed ArtWorks has
>> no chance of displaying the text correctly.

>> However, even if you had the font, that would not help at the moment
>> because text import in the current ArtWorks 2.8 pre-release is very
>> basic (see the documentation). In the full release version the PDF
>> importer will try to make use of installed fonts.

> My first experiment with importing into AW 2.82 a PDF (created by a
> friend in QuarkXPress 6.5) gives much better results than viewing it
> in !PDF 3.00.1.19 or in !RiScript 5.04

> So thank you, Martin, for such good work.

> But, as you say, text can be difficult. The file in question had
> embedded subsets of three Type 1 fonts, all of which are replaced by
> Trinity in the pre-release of AW 2.8, which is understandable.

> What I do find odd is that a single line of text (30 characters) came
> through as a set of variable length strings of text
> (2,1,2,1,3,1,4,15,1 characters). Since the substrings aren't whole
> words, I can't believe that the original design was made with such odd
> bits.

Could this be the effect that kerning has?  I suspect that where there
is no kerning, a string of text will be rendered as one object, but
where the originating program does use kerning, each character must be
rendered separately in order to have them spaced correctly.

For example, without kerning, the string 'AV' shows a big gap between
the characters.  Most decent DTP software whill offer automatic and/or
manual kerning to correct this.

--
Mark Wiggin