Re: [artworks] Artworks PDF Import

  • From: Bernard Boase <b.boase@xxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 22:43:33 +0100

On 3 May, Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Obviously, without the appropriate font being installed ArtWorks has
> no chance of displaying the text correctly.

> However, even if you had the font, that would not help at the moment
> because text import in the current ArtWorks 2.8 pre-release is very
> basic (see the documentation). In the full release version the PDF
> importer will try to make use of installed fonts.

My first experiment with importing into AW 2.82 a PDF (created by a
friend in QuarkXPress 6.5) gives much better results than viewing it
in !PDF 3.00.1.19 or in !RiScript 5.04

So thank you, Martin, for such good work.

But, as you say, text can be difficult. The file in question had
embedded subsets of three Type 1 fonts, all of which are replaced by
Trinity in the pre-release of AW 2.8, which is understandable.

What I do find odd is that a single line of text (30 characters) came
through as a set of variable length strings of text
(2,1,2,1,3,1,4,15,1 characters). Since the substrings aren't whole
words, I can't believe that the original design was made with such odd
bits.

I also noted that a special character like an apostrophe doesn't
render perhaps because it's a top-bit-set character in the original,
or possibly Unicode. I can't check that because none of the text is
stored in-clear in the original PDF file; it's all squashed somehow,
together with its graphics.

These sorts of issues must make Martin's job well-nigh impossible when
it comes to handling text usefully.

--
Bernard