Re: [artworks] Artistic LInes in Xara

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 16:17:11 +0000

On 13 Oct, Steve Fryatt wrote in message
    <mpro.mbty2a01pb7vk01ls.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 12 Oct, Martin Wuerthner wrote in message
>     <mpro.mbs399004i20904zs.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I've just done a talk at Wakefield RISC OS computer club (WROCC)
> > > illustrating how Artistic Lines can be used to embellish a cartoon
> > > character. One of the members has raised this point......
> > >
> > > "In Xara it appears as an editable shape, but of course I cannot treat
> > > it as a line. I am intrigued as to how the new version of Artworks
> > > 'knows' that it is an artistic line rather than just an editable
> > > shape"
> >
> > I am not quite sure where Xara comes into it. Maybe you have left out
> > some important information? Is this about exporting a file with artistic
> > lines from ArtWorks as a PDF and importing it into Xara? Then, of
> > course, there is no way to get the information across because PDF does
> > not have the concept of artistic lines. PDF is only concerned with how
> > things look, not with how they can be edited, and from a rendering point
> > of view there is no difference between an artistic line and its
> > resulting enclosing shape.
>
> I can't remember the context of the question, but IIRC we had drifted off
> into a discussion of how the lines "worked" and whether AW was treating
> them as proper lines with wobbly edges or as filled shapes.

This question still seems to be causing some confusion amongst the WROCC
membership -- or at least those who proofread the newsletter for me...

I think the nub of the question is this: are we correct to assume that
whatever system is used to render artistic lines is backwards-compatible
with previous versions of ArtWorks?  That is, if I were to create a drawing
with artistic lines in 2.X2, then send it to someone with an older version
of ArtWorks, are we correct in thinking that it would render OK but that
they couldn't edit the lines' profiles (but might be able to edit the paths
themselves)?  And that if they then changed other bits of the file and sent
it back to me, that I could still fully edit those artistic lines in 2.X2.

Sorry to come back to this, but before I edit the offending article to
remove the ambiguity in it, I'd like to make sure that I've understood
correctly.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/