Re: [artworks] ArtWorks EPS

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:53:38 +0100

In message <ed6a82b451.Dentrassis@mail>
          Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know this is a long shot, but is the ArtWorks EPS format documented
> anywhere?

Yes, but the specification is terse and incomplete. See
http://www.mw-software.com/files/AWEPS.pdf
The general format should be fairly easy to work out by exporting a
few test files though.

> I have a program that currently creates Draw files which I then import
> into ArtWorks for further editing, but I'd like to be able to create
> an ArtWorks file directly, so it can contain true ArtWorks objects
> such as rectangles and ellipses and even place things on different
> layers. As the native file format is somewhat impossible to create
> from another program, I'm guessing ArtWorksEPS would be my best
> approach?

Yes. When creating ArtWorks EPS for import into ArtWorks you can leave
out the Prolog (which is only needed to define the EPS procedures so
the file can be rendered by a PostScript engine). So, it is a comment
header, the colour table and then a sequence of layers. Each layer
definition is followed by object definitions. Each object definition
(e.g., "ae" for an ellipse) is followed by the attributes that apply
to it (e.g., "x" and "X" to define CMYK fill/line colours) and its
renderable portion (a standard path terminated by a "b" operator). A
sequence of objects between "u" and "U" creates a group.

> One last thing; out of interest are there any features or objects that
> are not handled by the EPS import/Export?

Yes, a few later additions like hatching/pattern fills (exported to
EPS as statically clipped paths), text areas (exported to EPS as text
lines), transparency (ignored), shadows (ignored) and replications
(exported as replicated objects).

ArtWorks EPS can handle all ArtWorks 1 objects, Polygons, JPEGs and
ClipViews (specifications for the additions are not available). Deep
sprites are not supported on import. JPEGs work fine though. ArtWorks
EPS supports all ArtWorks colour models (RGB, CMYK and HSV), named
colours and tints.