Re: [artworks] Anchor points and symmetry [was: Re: Ideas for new version]

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:01:04 +0100

In message <87314bab4e.zen44412@xxxxxxxxx>
          Simon Smith <simon_smith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <358803a34e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In message <4ea2fbeed7gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > A feature that would be really good is the ability to align selected
>> > nodes - in a similar way as the Alignment dialogue allows with objects.
>>
>> Yes, this has been mentioned before and is a very worthwhile feature,
>> but it is surprisingly tricky to achieve [...]
>
> The ability to align a shape on an arbitrary anchor point /without/
> distorting it would also be useful. Say for some reason you wanted to align
> the top of the bar of a capital Q-shaped path with some other shape in the
> same picture.

Currently, this requires some manualy work (as you have outlined), but
it should be very easy to add such a feature. As far as I can see it
would not even require any additional user interface code. The
alignment function could simply use the bounding box of the selected
anchor points (if there are any) instead of the bounding box of the
overall object. Maybe there could be an option button in the alignment
box to enable this feature to avoid confusion when aligning a shape
that still has an anchor point selected by accident.