[artworks] Positioning a simple rectangle

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:37:19 +0100

I continue with my heraldry kick but have started again with a new
design.

The core of the design is lots of little boxes each containing a design
of some sort.  The critical thing about these little boxes is that they
should all be the same size and precisely lined up.

I create a rectangle with the rectangle tool, though with the fill
colour set to none.

View > Grid Lock is ON and Shown.

I draw a rectangle.

I then reshape and position the rectangle to precisely the size and
shape that I want.  All this needs is that the opposite corners are each
moved to the appropriate grid points and they are automatically  locked
to those.

Stage one of building up the grid of boxes is to copy (CTRL-C) this
rectangle and then paste (CTRL-V) it in a suitable place.

Just as a check I move the rectangle to be on top of the one that it
copies.  This can only be done, of course, in steps of the grid.

But the new rectangle is not in the same place as the original.  Nor is
it if I to CTRL-P to 'Pull onto grid'; in fact CTRL-P does not move it
at all.

This is particularly visible at a magnification of 600%.  The line
thickness is 2 pts.

Can anyone tell me how I can get the grid locking to put the rectangles
made in these two ways in the same place?

(In case anyone suggests it, the alignment tool I think puts the
rectangles in the same place as CTRL-P.  It does not put the rectangles
with their control points on the grid points.)

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim@xxxxxxxxx
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/