[artworks] Layers control

  • From: Chris Terran <chris.terranova@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:58:25 +0100

When creating non-trivial graphics in ArtWorks, the Layers
feature becomes essential. It's a terrifically useful facility.

I've been thinking about the user interface of Layers, which seems a bit
awkward. In fact, I think improving this would be the biggest single UI
enhancement to AW -- at least for the way I work.

Currently it's a "menu". In quotes, because it looks more like a
sort of transitory window, with scroll-bars and a min/maximise icon. I
would argue that it would work much better as a permanent window, at
least optionally -- I use the "menu" so much that continually opening it
becomes a chore, and it would be very useful to have permanent on-screen
information on what layers are visible. The "menu" implementation also
enforces the use of Adjust to do things like move layers around and
switch multiple layers on/off, which is very awkward.

When AW was first written, screen sizes were very small and there was an
argument for not filling up the space with windows. These days, though,
screen are much larger, with room for more information -- as has been
done with the Colour Bar in AW.

So, a feature request: could the Layer control window have an option to
be permanently on-screen, like the Colour Bar? I can think of some other
useful enhancements to the Layers UI, but they can wait -- this one
would be a *major* improvement for me ;-)

Best, Chris

--
*** Chris & Lee's Photodesk tutorials, tips and resources
*** http://www.photodesk.iconbar.com