[artworks] ArtWorks 2.7 goes multi-page

  • From: Kell <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:20:51 +0100

I'm delighted at this multi-page development, as I have been needing to
make multi-page PDF's for years now. Usually I have created pages in
ArtWorks and then displayed them in Impression in order to print them to
the PostScript printer driver in order to.....

However, although I can live without multi-page text flow, I wonder if now
is not a good time to request more sophisticated text handling?

I don't think it would be right for ArtWorks to ever attempt to emulate
the capabilities of a word processor! But a more elegant text import
system would be appreciated, especially getting rid of the error box
asking where we want the text to go (which to me sorry is not plain
english! I always have to work out which button to click).

...and the ability to import RTF would make a huge difference. It would
mean that you can create body copy with styles (font/line spacing/para
spacing) in a WP package (Impression/Ovation), and then import into
ArtWorks. When it comes to, for example, an extra 6 points leading between
paragraphs, it becomes tedious to do this with the current editing tool.

And lastly (!?) the ability for shapes to repel text within a text area,
so if an ellipse is *in front of* a text area, the text wraps around it,
but if the ellipse is *behind* then the text over-prints.

As usual, I'm sure that:
a) some of this is easy to do, some difficult;
b) Martin will let us know which is which ;-)

--
Kell Gatherer
kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx