[AR] Removing aluminum corrosion

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 21:44:10 -0500

I forgot to empty the water out of some my aluminum parts after a cold test and now there is white/gray corrosion on portions of the parts. A stainless steel wire brush worked for the areas I could get to but I was thinking of using a chemical etch to get to the inaccessible areas. MIL-C-38834 is recommended but it's just 35-45% phosphoric acid and deionized water. Klean-Strip Phosphoric Prep and Etch appears to be readily available. Any suggestions? Also, what does light corrosion do to the heat transfer properties of aluminum? Do I even need to bother?

Thanks,
-Bob