[AR] Re: P&W GTF

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 18:15:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020, Kevin Ho wrote:

There is some similarity, to be sure. Note, though, that the fan shroud is not just ornamental :-), it modifies and controls the airflow so that the "propeller" can operate efficiently at higher speeds...

That’s actually the great thing about geared fans - tip speeds are below M1.

Really? I don't have numbers for the P&W engine handy, but I'd be surprised if they were, especially at Mach 0.8 cruise where the input airspeed adds quite a bit. As I understand it, modern fans generally do run their blade tips transonic, M=1.5 or so -- done right, this gives you a considerably smaller fan, for a given thrust, than an all-subsonic design. But my information may be out of date.

(Kevin's main point, that the gearing lets you reconcile the different preferred RPMs of a small turbine and a big fan, remains valid -- that's the point of the exercise.)