[AR] Re: Liquid methane procurement

  • From: Ed Kelleher <Pres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 14:38:55 -0400

Critical temperature for methane is -116 F. Above that temperature it can't be liquified.
At the critical temperature, pressure required to condense it to liquid is 673 psia.

Used dewars are DOT rated, and much less than that price. Don't know if they're rated for methane/LNG.

LNG tanks for buses/trucks might be available in junk yards?

Ed Kelleher

At 02:24 PM 07/25/2017, William Claybaugh wrote:

My information is likely out of date but when I last looked the only pure liquid methane plant in the country was across the street from Beale AFB in Sacramento.

LNG is about 98% methane in most cases but it is as I recall typically stored under self-pressurization at ambient temperatures, thus requiring cooling for rocket use.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 25, 2017, at 12:09 PM, Charlie Garcia <<mailto:dragonrider.hhcc@xxxxxxxxx>dragonrider.hhcc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Seconding this. MIT Rocket Team is looking for anyone who would sell us liquid methane, about 50L. We have a engine but we can't test it until we find the methane...

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 2:08 PM Carl Tedesco <<mailto:ctedesco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>ctedesco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

Does anyone have a source for liquid methane in Southern California? Specifically a 75L+ dewar/tank delivered. I have found several LNG fueling stations nearby, but they require a DOT certified tank and a search for DOT certified tanks shows them costing $6K and up!

--- Carl