[ARMini-support] Help! Unusable ARMX6

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 12:13:18 GMT

I must have had a senile moment, but I'm not sure what, and have
rendered my ARMX6 unusable. I can't contact Andrew about this, as he's
having a well-earned break, so any advice which can be given here
would be much appreciated. This is being sent from my VRPC.

I was doing my normal backup to my NAS, and the backup was going very
slowly, so I was worried about the health of the NAS. I then backed up
to my 1Tb external USB disc, and that went at normal speed. Probably
the fatal mistake was then to delete the whole of !Boot from the SSD
and to start restoring it from the backup I'd previously done on the
NAS, having moved ScrapDirs and Cashes out of the way, as these are
huge and I don't usually back them up. Then, and this is probably the
fatal step, the backup crashed about three-quarters of the way
through.

If I now do a normal start-up of the ARMX6 I get a whole series of
unhelpful error messages, starting with one that just says "unknown",
and then several "Application may have gone wrong", not specifying
which application, and then, very sinister, "Filer may have gone
wrong". The only way out of this is the off switch.

I've tried starting up while holding down or repeatedly pressing shift
and delete, and this doesn't do anything different, and repeatedly
pressing escape at start-up gives me a rudimentary start-up, with the
message "No Boot application has been run on startup. Some facilities
may not be available or set up correctly." Clicking on !Boot or doing
a shift-click to try to open !Boot gives "You cannot reconfigure this
machine". None of the applications I've tried will run. Also, though
the SSD icon says it's share protected I can't access it from VRPC. I
can't access the NAS either, and if I connc=ect the external USB drive
I can see its filer window, I can open the directory ARMX6_bak, but
its contents are garbled, even though I can see them correctly from
VRPC.

Any help forthcoming will earn my eternal gratitude, and perhaps a
drink or three if I can get to the SW Show :-)

Best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter Young (zfc Os) and family.