[ARMini-support] Followup to Patric's post - important for Beagleboard Support Schemers

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:07:20 GMT

Just a thought....

(Affects BB Support Scheme users, not ARMini users)...

I suspect the default CMOS settings for OS 5.18 is to boot off
SCSI::0.$

If you don't run out "!SaveCMOS" program (available in
Utilities.Caution) after reconfiguring this, you won't save your CMOS
settings if they're different to this.

For ARMini users, this won't be an issue because drive 0 is the one
they want to boot from.

For BB Support Scheme users, they may be booting off drive 4.  They'll
need to run !SaveCMOS to save that setting if re-configuration is
needed.

NOTE:  The update to OS3 should be transparent, and load your CMOS
settings from the card normally.  However, if your card doesn't
conform to our expected layout (cmos called "cmos", RISC OS called
"riscos", and so on) then you could have a problem.

In particular, you'll probably want the xm rev B/C uboot bits on your
SD card, so that unev.txt is used rather than boot.scr to read the
startup environment.

We'll be making the hardware CMOS addons available very soon
(hopefully within the week) which should provide a long-term solution
to this problem.

The best solution I can offer for this is for me to upload a modified
version of the flashing tool for BB Support Scheme users which will
update the whole of their card just in case.  I'll try and get that
done before the end of the day.  I'll put it in the Beagleboarders
folder on the private site.

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS