[ARMini-support] Clarification regarding CMOS stuff

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:06:58 GMT

As I mentioned in previous messages, most users should not have
problems with loading CMOS settings after the update - we've made sure
to update the necessary files on your SD card.

However, it is worth explaining why this is necessary.  5.18 supports
Robert Sprowston's "hardware cmos RAM" add-on, which is used in
preference to files on your SD card.  These will be available shortly
(hopefully at the show this weekend) as a DIY upgrade that we'll be
telling you about.  These should eliminate all CMOS issues and give a
CMOS experience just like a RiscPC.

In the meantime, 5.18 allows the cmos settings to be loaded from the
card, if the hardware-add-on is not present.

This is achieved via an extra line in the "Uenv.txt" file.  A recent
"u-boot.bin" file is needed for this, but as far as we know, all
ARMini users should have suitable versions already.

For older Beagleboard users, we have uploaded "OS3 for BB.zip" to the
Beagleboarders folder on the private site which contains the extra
files.

It is *just* possible that very early ARMini owners may benefit from
this too, as the early SD cards may have had an old "u-boot.bin" on
them.  At this stage, I'm honestly not sure, and we don't have any
stock of those (due to stock shortages, I even had to sell my on
personal prototype).  If you suspect your CMOS settings aren't

Best wishes,

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS