Re: [ARMini-support] Toolbox modules

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:29:05 GMT

In message <c6d5615e52.chris@xxxxxxxx>
          Chris Hughes <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can we have some clarity regarding the Toolbox modules and
> applications.

> Some applications ask for newer version numbers of various Toolbox
> modules, then are supplied with the ARMini.

> So can we use the ROL Modules or not.

> This is a mess and is one of the most off putting issues for users in
> general.

We have users using both (ie. the supplied RO5 ones, and the RISCOS
Ltd ones).  Neither seem to have problems, beyond applications which
RMensure specific versions.

Overall, you *might* be best served by RISCOS Ltd's ones, which seem
fine on the ARMini (and tend to have higher version numbers), since
historically they did more dev work on them than Pace/Castle seemed
to.  However, in the intervening years, I suspect ROOL have tweaked
the OS5 builds as needed.

I have to say (and have said publicly serveral times) that there's no
benefit to be gained by RISCOS Ltd keeping the toolbox closed source,
as it is a key factor in making Toolbox less desirable to developers
(no source = no option to debug if your program is throwing up
issues), so really there should just be one set of shared/open source
Toolbox modules.  Sadly that isn't the case.

If you're comfy tweaking the !Run file of apps that fall foul of this,
then the supplied ones should be fine.  If not, download and install
the RISCOS Ltd ones, and all should be well.

Actually, there is one option we haven't considered - find any apps
that "need" RISC OS Ltd's modules (off the top of my head, I'm only
aware of Really Small Software's "Sourcery" dev tool, but there may be
others), tweak the ROOL modules as needed, and re-release the OS5
copies with higher version numbers.  Crude, but possibly a more
realistic long-term solution.

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS