Re: [ARMini-support] Problems with NetSurf

  • From: Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Armini support <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 00:04:07 +0100

The following bytes were arranged on 7 Jun 2012 by Chris Hughes :

> In message <d56d409c52.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The following bytes were arranged on 7 Jun 2012 by Chris Hughes :
>
> >> Works fine here with the standard settings. and Tinct is 32 bit OK
> >> otherwise other ARMini/beagleboard users would be complaining.
>
> > You've got yourself a bit confused there.
>
> No you seem to have decided to confuse things and create a red
> herring.

You implied that a module being "32 bit OK" is sufficient to guarantee
it would work on the ARMini.  It isn't.

> It is already supposed to be ARMv7 OK.

No, it's not.  The Tinct module is not part of NetSurf, it is merely
used by NetSurf - in much the same way that Hermes is not part of
Messenger Pro.  In this case the NetSurf developers have no access to
the Tinct sources, and its author has not rebuilt it with the ARMv7
compatibility switch:

http://vlists.pepperfish.net/pipermail/netsurf-users-netsurf-browser.org/2010-November/009739.html

John-Mark Bell wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 16:34 +0100, Trevor Johnson wrote:
>
> > Could someone please comment on the 'Use OS' approach?
>
> That's the only available fix. We do not have access to the Tinct
> sources and have given up trying to obtain them under suitable
> licencing terms. Therefore, if you are using NetSurf on ARMv7
> platforms, configure it to use the OS for image rendering.

NetSurf is ARMv7 compatible.  Tinct is not.

> http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/ARMv7%20software%20compatibility%20list
>
> I assume you have been looking at this way out of date compatibility
> list where it talks about !NetSurf 2.5 and mentions Tinct has issues -
> we are on 2.9 of !NetSurf as the stable release and even higher with
> development builds.

Ironically, you've chanced upon the one section of that page which
*isn't* way out of date - and even more ironically, it was I who updated
it.  If you look at the column heading more closely, you'll see the 2.5
refers to the *earliest* working version (as NetSurf 2.5 was the first
version of the browser built with ARMv7 compatibility in mind).  Prior
to that, it listed version 2.6!

Listing the earliest working versions of things saves the never-ending
job of periodically going through the list and incrementing the version
numbers of everything which has had new releases since the last update.
Documentation is enough of a drain to maintain as it is.

> As some else has already said it works with AE on as well.

I can't answer for that (NetSurf on my ARMini is configured both with AE
off and 'Use OS'), but I'm merely repeating the official advice (see
above).  If I were running a module last updated in 2009 on an ARMini
and trying to determine the cause of a crash, I would always suspect
that module first.

In any case, we don't yet know if John *is* running Tinct.  If he is, I
advise him to set NetSurf's image options to 'Use OS' and see if that
fixes the problem.  If it doesn't, or he isn't, we'll try something
else, but there's no reason to immediately rule Tinct out as a cause.

--
  __<^>__   "Start off every day with a smile and get it over with."
 / _   _ \  - W.C. Fields