Re: [ARMini-support] Problems with NetSurf

  • From: Chris Hughes <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Armini support <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 22:47:34 +0100

In message <d56d409c52.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The following bytes were arranged on 7 Jun 2012 by Chris Hughes :

>> In message <58a3119c52.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> The following bytes were arranged on 5 Jun 2012 by John Greenwood :
>>
>>> [snip]

>>> That strongly suggests that it's something to do with what NetSurf is
>>> using to redraw the window, and that in turn incriminates Tinct.  The
>>> Tinct module is not ARMv7 compatible.  Are you absolutely sure you have
>>> followed the official advice to set both of NetSurf's "Image quality"
>>> options to "Use OS"?
>>
>> Works fine here with the standard settings. and Tinct is 32 bit OK
>> otherwise other ARMini/beagleboard users would be complaining.

> You've got yourself a bit confused there.

No you seem to have decided to confuse things and create a red
herring.

>  "32 bit OK" refers to whether
> code runs on the Iyonix.  The ARMini and BeagleBoard require a whole new
> set of code changes in order to be fully compatible, referred to as
> being "ARMv7 OK".  The two concepts are entirely distinct, although
> obviously code which won't run on an Iyonix won't run on an ARMini
> either.

It is already supposed to be ARMv7 OK.

> The additional changes required for the ARMini are detailed on the ROOL
> wiki here:

> http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/ARMv7%20compatibilit
> y%20primer

So! Where does that say its not ARMv7 OK?

http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/ARMv7%20software%20compatibility%20list

I assume you have been looking at this way out of date compatibility
list where it talks about !NetSurf 2.5 and mentions Tinct has issues -
we are on 2.9 of !NetSurf as the stable release and even higher with
development builds.

> Now, next question: Does John have alignment exceptions turned on?  The
> ARMini's default setting (accessible from Configure) is off, and it's
> entirely possible that Tinct is one of the legacy programs which works
> by accident in the almost-but-not-quite-compatible environment that the
> 'alignment exceptions off' setting provides.

As some else has already said it works with AE on as well.

--
Chris Hughes
Sorry you have missed the Wakefield Show now.