Re: [ARMini-support] Large Fat formatted hard drive

  • From: David Pitt <djp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:21:41 +0100

A Rawnsley, on 15 Jun, wrote:

> In message <mpro.lmty2v00001b909zv.pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
>
> > Chris Johnson, on 15 Jun, wrote:
>
> > > Is anyone out there successfully using a large FAT formatted hard
> > > drive with their ARMini? (Is anyone actually out there??)
>
> > So far I have been unable even to create a large FAT32 drive. I have
> > been trying with an old Buffalo 120MB drive, Windows7 will only offer to
> > format that as exFAT. I dug out the old XP box only to find that did the
> > same but it did seem possible to format from the command line, it went
> > through the process of a low level format then at the end said the drive
> > was too big for FAT32.
>
> > I can at least see the drive on the Iyonix but cannot do anything with
> > it. I have a feeling there is a FAT32 tool for the Iyonix but have yet
> > to find it.
>

> > The ARMini does not see the disc at all, it just whirrs and clicks.
>
> This is of concern, since there's no difference in the USB stuff between
> ARMini and Iyonix, except for the hardware drivers, obviously.

Hmm!! I have now found Fat32FS for the Iyonix and have formatted two USB
drives as FAT32 on an iMac. The Iyonix can see either drive singly, but not
both together.

> I do have some funny drives which aren't seen, and will be sending them to
> Jeffrey soon.  Does the machine lock, or just not recognise the drive.

The ARMini simply does not see either of those two, front or back. The
thought that I would have two funny drives strikes me as most believable. I
have just tried a third drive and the ARMini found that no problem at all.

The two 'funny' drives are a Buffalo MiniStation and a Maxtor, these are of
some vintage. The good one is a new Seagate FreeAgent.

> ARMini includes FAT formatting tools in the Utilities folder.  We have
> shipped a number of machines with FAT format secondary hard drives.
>
> Note that USB behaviour may differ between internal/front ports, and the
> rear ones.  They're on two rather different controllers.

Entertainingly I found that the two external hubs I use with the Mac or with
Windows' would not allow either of the two 'funny' USB drives through to be
seen by either a Mac or Windows host. (And would you believe it the Seagate
does get through one of those hubs.)

So it is all as clear as mud, USB drives have their foibles and so do USB
hubs.

--
David Pitt
List-related queries to support@xxxxxxxxxxxx