Re: [ARMini-support] Large Fat formatted hard drive

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:15:11 +0100

In message <mpro.lmty2v00001b909zv.pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> Chris Johnson, on 15 Jun, wrote:

>> Is anyone out there successfully using a large FAT formatted hard drive
>> with their ARMini? (Is anyone actually out there??)

> So far I have been unable even to create a large FAT32 drive. I have been
> trying with an old Buffalo 120MB drive, Windows7 will only offer to format
> that as exFAT. I dug out the old XP box only to find that did the same but
> it did seem possible to format from the command line, it went through the
> process of a low level format then at the end said the drive was too big for
> FAT32.

> I can at least see the drive on the Iyonix but cannot do anything with it. I
> have a feeling there is a FAT32 tool for the Iyonix but have yet to find it.

> The ARMini does not see the disc at all, it just whirrs and clicks.

This is of concern, since there's no difference in the USB stuff
between ARMini and Iyonix, except for the hardware drivers, obviously.

I do have some funny drives which aren't seen, and will be sending
them to Jeffrey soon.  Does the machine lock, or just not recognise
the drive.

ARMini includes FAT formatting tools in the Utilities folder.  We have
shipped a number of machines with FAT format secondary hard drives.

Note that USB behaviour may differ between internal/front ports, and
the rear ones.  They're on two rather different controllers.

For filecore formatting, you should be safe up to 250Gb.  (Probably
256Gb).  Above that, it'll work, but there's potential for problems
when addressing the >250Gb portion.  I'm not sure if this applies to
FAT32 format or not.  I'd be inclined to suspect "yes", but I know
they format up OK.

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS