Re: [ARMini-support] Large Fat formatted hard drive

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:45:53 +0100

A Rawnsley, on 15 Jun, wrote:

> > Entertainingly I found that the two external hubs I use with the Mac or
> > with Windows' would not allow either of the two 'funny' USB drives
> > through to be seen by either a Mac or Windows host. (And would you
> > believe it the Seagate does get through one of those hubs.)
>
> > So it is all as clear as mud, USB drives have their foibles and so do
> > USB hubs.
>
> I think you may have hit on it.  In both cases (front and back) there is a
> "hub" in place, either in the xM circuitry, or literally (in the case of
> the front ports).  It may be that that is (in part) the problem.

Another(?) issue is power from the USB sockets. The Buffalo that did not
work previously now does with the second USB power-only lead also in use.
(This was never required on Macs or Windows boxes.) Both USB leads into
either the front or rear sockets and the Buffalo works on the ARMini.

The current delivered by the ARMini's internal Belkin powered hub is not as
generous as that which can be drawn from the Macs or Windows machines.

Low current output is why the hubs appeared not to work.

The newer Seagate works more readily because it is a lower power device, it
has no facility for a second USB lead.

Currently both the Buffalo and Seagate are running together on the ARMini.

That does not explain why the Maxtor would not work, that was used with two
USB connectors, they are hardwired together.

I hope this helps.

--
David Pitt
List-related queries to support@xxxxxxxxxxxx