Re: [ARMini-support] Help! Unusable ARMX6

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 18:19:18 GMT

On 19 Dec 2015 Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In message <f0c3833455.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 19 Dec 2015 A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In message <01716f3455.Bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Bernard Veasey <bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Probably the fatal mistake was then to delete the whole of !Boot
from the SSD ...

Peter.

There's a recovery !Boot on your
SDFS::System.$.Recovery.DiskImage.!Boot

(Andrew - Still haven't finished building ARMX6s so not quite able to wind
down yet!)

What Bernard says above is a great place to start - it appears as :1 on
your iconbar.

Also, many [most] ARMX6s shipped with 64 or 128Gb of backup storage which
appears as :0 on the iconbar. This may well have a more recent backup
etc, although it depends if you're using it to keep current !Boot backups
as recommended or not, I suppose.

Anyway, between the two, you should be able to piece together enough of a
!Boot to get back up and running, and online with network etc. That's the
intention, anyway. :)

Many thanks, everyone, for your advice, and I still feel a little
guilty that Andrew has replied! I now have a partly working machine,
but I get lots of error messages at start-up, and some apps still
don't work. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to tussle with
!Reporter soon, which I confess I find a bit frightening :-)

One piece of advice - before installing Reporter, make a backup copy
of !Boot. When you have finished with Reporter, rename !Boot and copy
back the backup. That way you don't end up with a !boot cluttered up
with the remains of Reporter.

Thanks for the wise words, but they were too late, alas. Reporter had
been a disaster; I did say I was frightened of it. So, back to square
one, and to delete !Boot and to copy over the copy from the Recovery
directory. Then the ghastly realisation dawned that I must have
originally "topped up" this !Boot with the wrong backup, and had used
the one for the ARMini of blessed memory. I've now done it from the
correct backup, and everything is back to normal, including the
appearance of the screen.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time; I did say that it had all been a
senile moment.

I shall keep Chris's wise words about what to do with Reporter; many
thanks for these.

Best wishes,

Peter.

--