Re: [ARMini-support] Help! Unusable ARMX6

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 19:07:25 GMT

On 19 Dec 2015 Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 19 Dec, Peter Young wrote in message
<f1c68b3455.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 19 Dec 2015 Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One piece of advice - before installing Reporter, make a backup copy of
!Boot. When you have finished with Reporter, rename !Boot and copy back
the backup. That way you don't end up with a !boot cluttered up with the
remains of Reporter.

Thanks for the wise words, but they were too late, alas. Reporter had been
a disaster; I did say I was frightened of it.

In what way was it as "disaster"?

I'm too ashamed to say. Basically, I must have mis-read the
instructions, and it stiffed the machine.

So, back to square one, and to delete !Boot and to copy over the copy from
the Recovery directory. Then the ghastly realisation dawned that I must
have originally "topped up" this !Boot with the wrong backup, and had used
the one for the ARMini of blessed memory. I've now done it from the
correct backup, and everything is back to normal, including the appearance
of the screen.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time; I did say that it had all been a
senile moment.

I shall keep Chris's wise words about what to do with Reporter; many
thanks for these.

I'm not sure that Chris's "wise words" are actually that wise: if you
install Reporter, then use it to fix problems with your !Boot, you can't
then go back to your pre-Reporter backup without losing all of the fixes
that you've just done...

It's getting a bit of a cliche, but as far as I know, this still applies to
all modern machines:

http://www.wrocc.org.uk/howto/article.php?id=bootlog

Suggestions for making the information there less scary would be welcome.

I've bookmarked that file, and will have a better look at it when I've
caught up a bit more with other things. Thanks for the link.

Best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter Young (zfc Os) and family