Re: [ARMini-support] Boot to Supervisor

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:01:15 GMT

In message <4399f16b52.Andrew-Pin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've recently aquired an ARMini and spent time copying files from my
> Iyonix using a USB stick.  Inevitably I left it plugged into one of
> the rear USB ports on the machine when shutting down. What I
> discovered is that the ARMini boots to the Supervisor * prompt when
> this is the case.  So presumably it is finding this disc and failing
> to find the bootable internal USB drive.

> I can see advantages to the ability to boot from an external drive but
> I won't be the only person to leave one plugged in for convenience.
> Would it be possible to specify the boot order so the internal drive
> is accessed first?

The order of USB ports is a very complex issue, and is what cause the
delay in the release of 5.18.  It is to do with the way the HAL /
kernel initialises, and when it is able to deal with the init requests
for ports.

Anyway, as configured, the order of devices is - rear ports, internal
stick, card reader, front ports.

As such, if you use pen drives on the front ports, rather than the
rear, you should be fine.

On the rear ports, use keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner or external
hard drive.

This should give best results.

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS