Re: [ARMini-support] ARMX6 OS Upgrade 3 released

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:54:13 +0100

As I cannot find anything wrong in !Boot, I have now reverted to "upgrade
2" (OS 5.13 10-aug-15) and !RiscOSM is now working correctly with no
memory error when drawing a map.

It looks like there is some incompatibility between my ARMX6 and upgrade 3
which others are not suffering.

It would appear that this problem was most likely caused by having
"SpecialFX" installed, which replaces calls to the Draw module with
calls to Computer Concepts' "Gdraw" module. This module makes use of
a call that has been obsolete/deprecated for over 20 years.

There will likely be a Gdraw update from Martin W, and Jeffrey has
re-implemented the obsolete call for the sake of compatibility. This
will be in OS update 4.

For now, I'd recommend simply not using SpecialFX since it isn't part
of the standard disc image. I forget the history to this program, but
it sounds like it's trying to slightly "usurp" the OS. I'd rather see
that functionality brought into the OS modules than have to use a
patch, but there we go.

My intention would be to release OS update 4 in the not-to-distant
future as John also tracked and fixed a long-standing "long path name"
bug in ShareFS which could cause network problems.

As usual, big thanks to Jeffrey Lee for looking into this :)

Kind wishes,

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS