[argyllcms] Re: workflow ( V1.1.0_RC1_win32 )

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:29:59 +1100

Wallden Magnus wrote:
I have a printer profile, made  "without native calibration capability",
I have used applycal at the end to apply the cal file to the profile.

If I wont to use this profile as a preliminary profile like this:

targen ......  -c prelprofile.icm   ............
printtarg   ....... -K calfile.cal  ..........

Shall the  prelprofile.icm include the calfile.cal or not ?

You don't want to apply the calibration twice, so no, don't use the
profile with calibration applied to it with targen, since printtarg
will be applying the calibration. Even if you remove the "-K calfile.cal"
from printtarg, I suspect that this is not such a good approach.
The profiling tools don't handle underlying device non-linearity
as effectively as per-channel calibration, so it's best to make
the profiling tools "see" a linearized device. The only exception
to this is in letting the profile tools ink limit calculations be
aware of the calibration. This will be the case if the preliminary
profile has the original .ti3 data embedded in it that includes the
(appended) calibration curves, something that will occur if printtarg is
used with the -I or -K parameter.