[argyllcms] Re: widegamut LCDs and internal LUT

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:36:49 +1000

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
Graeme, since I'm up to either of the mentioned displays, you can use
me as a remote port sniffing monkey :-) I just need some kind of
howto, since I never did any reverse engineering. I *really* don't
want to go Win/Apple way after all these years.

It's a really hard way to do it, unless it turns out to be so simple
it's foolproof. Worst case reverse engineering means not only getting
bus dumps, but disassembling code, stepping through the code in a debugger,
and simply trying different sequences to see how the hardware reacts. It
tends to be an iterative, interactive process.

The first step though for a USB connected monitor is to install SnoopyPro
on an MSWindows box, and get a trace of the software downloading a known LUT.