[argyllcms] Re: v1.1.0 RC1 How the TAC is accounting while the calibration is provided?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:57:22 +1100

Nikolay Pokhilchenko wrote:

Does it mean that I shouldn't use -nc option in colprof if I want to
set the total ink limit in collink?

No, you'd only do that if you didn't want real (post calibration) ink
limits to be used in collink. The ink limit options in collink work
as they have always done in overriding any other defaults, but with
the calibration information in the profiles, the ink limits will
be in real (post calibration) device values.

What does the total ink limit parameter mean for colprof when the
calibration curves are provided?

It means that they are in the post calibration device space, which
should be closer to being actual ink on page values.

For example I have the calibration with limits detected by printcal
C=79% M=68% Y=48% K=52%. If all channels is at their maximums, will
the summ be account in colprof/collink as 247% or 400%?

Targen will also try and take into account any calibration curves
too, if the pre-conditioning ICC profile contains calibration
curve information (although due to the way ink limits are used
within targen this will not be as accurate, and targen will
err on the side of making sure the real (post calibration) total
ink limit is achieved by the test target).