[argyllcms] Re: using a digital camera as a colorimeter

  • From: "Greg Sullivan" <greg.sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 23:18:37 +1000

Alastair wrote:
> Indeed - it really depends what you're trying to achieve.  300 patches
> is more than enough for pleasing photographic output, providing your
> printer driver is "well-behaved".  With colour adjustments disabled,
> Gutenprint seems to fit this description very well...

Ok. (I'm using the Epson ill-behaved RGB driver. :)

I don't know anything about Gutenprint yet - I'd love to have a method of
bypassing the Epson driver without having to fork out lots of money -
if Gutenprint provides a very simple "RIP" I'm interested to learn about
it.......

> I took me about 15 minutes last night to measure 144 patches, pressing
> the button each time, and with patches just under 12mm square.  The
> light in my office isn't good enough to use auto-pickup mode...

FWIW, I find it trivially easy to place the puck when the patches are
printed in random order, with very dim lighting. I have set the inter-patch
time to one second.

Greg.