[argyllcms] using REFINE with ICCLINK to achieve -G results with -g parameter for original black generation

  • From: "Roberto Michelena" <colorsync@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:08:58 -0500

Whew! long subject title, it explains it all.

I want to use ICCLINK to create a link from an RGB space (typically,
AdobeRGB) to an offset printer profile.
I'd naturally want to use -G for best accuracy and detail, but I do
have some fears about the quality of the black generation done by
Argyll. The offset profile is generated by Monaco, which is reputedly
one of the best black generations (at least better than ProfileMaker).
It'd be a shame to lose it.

So I was thinking... if I do the link using -g, and then pass a large
set of RGB equal-step values (ideally corresponding to the gridpoints
of the input side of the link) through it, and pass the resulting CMYK
values through the original offset profile in reverse (abscol), end up
with a set of Lab values.
Which are not going to match exactly the ones obtained by RGB->Lab on
the same set of points and the same RGB (input) profile ; so then I
use REFINE on those two sets of Lab values, and do the ICCLINK -g
again but this time with -p (and the results from REFINE)... and so
on...
After some iterations I might end up with results similar to -G, but
having the black generation of the original CMYK profile, right?
Is there a better/shorter way?

Hey, furthermore, if I do all the conversions via another (target) CMM
such as for example the beta Adobe CMM, then refine will also
compensate for CMM differences and I'd end up with a link optimized
for that target CMM...! ?

best regards,

-- Roberto Michelena
  Infinitek