[argyllcms] Re: tiffgamut feature request

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:37:44 +0100

Hi :)

Roger Breton wrote:

I think it defeats the purpose of building a custom gamut mapping for
individual images.

Hmmmm - I don't think it completely defeats the purpose. It's true that there'd be little point in building a single custom devicelink from a collection of random images which pretty much cover the entire source space's gamut. But on the other hand when you have images which naturally belong in a set - say, a model shoot, for which you want to keep skin tones consistent despite the gamut usage of different garments being different - then building a single gamut and devicelink specifically for the set could be very useful.

Provided the source images are all in the same colourspace, this can be done already by concatenating the source images into a single TIFF, kind of like a filmstrip, before feeding that to TIFFGamut - but it results in a potentially huge file and takes a while to process.

Another option, even if no faster, would be for Viewgam to sprout the ability to calculate the union of a set of gamut files. It can already calculate the intersection, so I don't imagine adding a union option would be impossible.

Possibly the lowest overhead method, though, would be Klaus's suggestion of TIFFGamut accepting multiple images and calculating the union of their gamuts on the fly. Again, I can't imagine this being too tricky - except for potentially having to handle the case where images don't all use the same source profile.

A) the TIFF Source image is dropped in an Input folder;
B) the tiffgamut is calculated on the fly;
C) a devicelink is created;
D) the actual RGB to CMYK is converted.

ImgTarget could probably be extended to cover this functionality without too much trouble.

But I suspect this process must be beginning to sound a lot like smartCMM
and dumb profiles?

You make that sound like a bad thing ;)

All the best,
--