[argyllcms] Re: tiffgamut feature request

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:41:10 +0200

edmund ronald wrote:
Klaus,

 While you're about it, can you document how this works ?

I'm about to document it in detail with some example images right now -- namely to demystify some of the "secrets" and myths concerning gamut mapping and device link profiles one could read e.g. in Apples colorsync-users list, but it may take a while.

until then I can highly recommend Graeme's comprehensive documentation:
<http://argyllcms.com/doc/iccgamutmapping.html>
<http://argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html#LP1>
<http://argyllcms.com/doc/collink.html>
<http://argyllcms.com/doc/colprof.html>
<http://argyllcms.com/doc/tiffgamut.html>

 Assume I have an image "gaudy.tiff" and a measure set "cesspon.ti3"
or a profile "cesspon.icc"
 What are the commands one types to get the adapted mapping ? Which of
the A2B tables in the result profiles is it in ?
 Is there a way to do this with just a profile (no measures) ?

the short answer: yes.

If you have a source image source.tif in colorspace source.icc to be viewed on a typical monitor and want to transform it to your printer's profile destination.icc, you can extract the image gamut with

$ tiffgamut -ia -pj -cmt source.icc source.tif
(this will generate the gamut file source.gam)

create a device link profile with:
$ collink -G source.gam -ip -cmt -dpp source.icc destination.icc link.icc

and use it with:
$ cctiff link.icc source.tif outfile.tif

outfile.tif is now in the printer's colorspace (destination.icc), you can print it without any additional colormanagement. It has no embedded profile (you can embed destination.icc if you like).

Klaus